Brief introduction of “Flap Disc”
Flap Disc is a principally Coated Abrasive product and it designed for use on hand grinder machine for Grinding and Finishing applications that constructed on different types pad with overlapping of abrasive flaps with grains and glued/resigned radially to a backing, featuring either an open center hole, screw on-screw off hub, or quick change attachment. Discs is popular for stock removal and the ability to grinding, blending, welding, machining, heavy-duty equipment, industrial maintenance, agriculture, food production and wood working components as well.
And this is why we need to learn about disc use and Variety of Applications to reduce the overall grinding cost of our project.
WHAT IS USE AND APPLICATION OF FLAP DISC?
- Before start using disc you will have to must read and follow safety instructions, both PPE and disc safety.
- This is basically replacement product of “FIBER DISC” many applications were fiber disc not succeed and satisfied to complete the project.
- Disc basic ability to vary pressure with various angel and surface area as needed to provide required application for both a coarser or smoother finish.
- Provides maximum contact with work surface and remove up to five times the material with less work piece gouging than standard grinding wheels.
- Cooler operations, means you’re less likely to leave scorch or heat marks on the jobs.
- In addition to their ease of use, discs are also preferred by operators because they produce low vibration and noise levels.
- Easy to Cleaning flash from molds and castings, Removing rust with fine grits, accurate edge grinding of any Job, Deburring, Blending weld seams.
- Users have much better control over during use of disc operation, making damage much less chances.
Any disc is way more batter than compared to Aluminum Oxide resin Fiber Disc for smooth down welds after using grinding wheels. The can grind and finish simultaneously. Just give high pressure for deep and hard grinding and lighter pressure for a finer finish.
You should use a flap disc one or two grits coarser than a conventional disc for best polishing/finishing results. Discs with higher density will last longer, but a standard density disc offers the ability to be more aggressive in stock removal of metal, wood, fiber or any types activities.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES AND SIZES OF FLAP DISC?
FLAT, CONICAL, and COMPRESSED Disc are available in three shapes. Which your job depends on whether you want the fine finish possible or need to remove as much thick material as possible in a very quick time.
FLAT DISC used for working on flat surfaces and are most popular for edge grinding and deburring.
CONICAL DISC are designed for excellent surface conduct and aggressive use. Many users choose this shape for heavy stock removal basically welds hogging on flat grinding applications to quickly remove the most material possible.
COMPRESSED-SHAPE DISC is new introduced for users and market as well, which do both edge grinding and deburring while being effective for thick weld removal. Featuring a four degree grinding angle, the flap edges break material down more slowly. This increase life and, due to the Flap disc eliminate the need to stock very types, substantially decrease inventory of stock. This shape gives the user a good edge and increased productivity.
WHAT ARE SIZES OF THE FLAP DISC?
The sizes are standard from 4 inches to 7 inches in diameter and Inter diameter is near 16mm for 4 inch Disc, and I.D. 22mm for 5 & 7 inch diameter Disc, Most likely below all standard sizes are mentioned.
- 4”InchO.D. X 16mm I.D. X 24Grit to 220Grit,
- 5”InchO.D. X 22mm I.D. X 24Grit to 220Grit,
- 7”InchO.D. X 22mm I.D. X 24Grit to 220Grit,
WHAT IS MANUFACTURING INFORMATION?
Flap Backing Materials: Polyester, Polyester-Cotton or Cotton
- Polyester is Able to withstand tremendously high pressure without degrading the flap For great stock removal and edge grinding strength.
- Cotton: Used where maximum conformability and soft feel is the goal, Must be used under lighter pressure to maximize and Must be used under lighter pressure to maximize performance and life.
- Polyester/Cotton Blend: The best of both worlds, Can withstand great pressure while still maintaining thick stock removal and finishing, Often used as the starting point for disc operations for first time user.
Types of Backing Pads, Fiberglass, Plastic and Steel (Aluminum)
The backing plate of a disc typically comes in three types: fiberglass, plastic, and aluminum.
- Fiberglass or phenolic: is arguably the most famous because it’s low weight, durable, and strong bond with adhesives without contaminating the workpiece. Because they’re processed of layers, fiberglass backing pad have a higher mesh density that increase performance and durability.
- Plastic backing pad: is another choice of their flexibility and relatively lesser cost. Nylon is the common plastic used for backing pad and can be trimmed back during grinding, which in some cases can increase disc grinding life more. Manufacturers vary on the recommended length for trimming, but one of the most common lengths is 3 to 8 Inch from the edge of the backing pad.
- Metal aluminum backing plates: offer greater support pressure stability and support than the other two options which is plastic and Fiber glass but are more expensive. However, for applications such as hard metal and other tough items, the aluminum backing pad is revealed as the material wears and can gouge the workpiece, need more task as well as contaminating it.
FLAP DENSITY and THICKNESS
Flap density and wideness is the total amount of coated abrasive area covers by the flaps on a disc. Size of the flap area & thickness of coated abrasive flap depends on how much number of flaps being used, the angle at which they’re used, and distance in between the flap. High density disc provide the user with nearly 35% more grinding material.
Flap disc with less density are effective for fast stock removal and heavy-duty applications, while disc with high density should be used for finishing jobs or for working on curved or irregular surfaces.
TYPES OF ABRASIVE GRAINS FOR GRIT
To get the most out of a disc, choose the grain material that best suits the application. The three most common types are Aluminum Oxide, Ceramic Alumina and Zirconia.
- Aluminum Oxide: – One of the first grains to be used when disc entered the market, aluminum oxide is the least expensive grain. It’s an ideal choice for smaller jobs involving soft metals, nonferrous metals (aluminum, brass, copper, zinc, etc.), as well as composites and wood.
- Ceramic Alumina: – The new in Product development technological, the market has seen a huge spike in the use of ceramic abrasives. Precision-shaped grains that self-sharpen and unique crystal structures that continually reveal a fresh cutting edge make the new ceramic abrasives more efficient and productive compared to traditional ceramic grains. Ceramic grains maks to consistently give the sharp edges.
- Zirconia Alumina: – For tough carbon and some Harding and tempered stainless steel applications, zirconia is a most important grain choice for improved speed and durability. Zirconia grain provides some of the quickest and hardest removal reshow of all the hard materials and is also made design for cool cutting with low pressure. Zirconia grains are also heat-resistant and maintain their sharpness compared to aluminum Oxide grains.
GRIT SIZE DESCRIPTION
You’re probably familiar with grit size if you’ve been using Abrasive products, Grit size is the abrasive grain size of a material, and what the user chooses depends on the application which is below three categories which is Courser, Medium and finer.
- Coarser grits are available size 24 to 40.
- Medium grits are available size 50 to 80.
- Finer grits are available size 120 to 220
A grit number which is higher indicates a smaller abrasive grain and, thus, 120 to 320 finer abrasive product and 24 to 40 is very sharp and coarser and 50 to 80 is medium. Using a disc with a rough grit size is ideal for wider heavy stock removal or grinding jobs. Conversely, users should choose a disc with a medium or finer grit size for blending, deburring, and finishing applications.
The Flap Disc discs mostly range anywhere from 4 inches to 7 inches as per the application. Same 4 inch disc will outperform standard quick-change discs, given access to tight areas, and design will help stay the disc from “walking” on part.
WHAT IS THE SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS USE OF FLAP DISC?
Using Disc you require good personal protective equipment (PPE) we need to ware equipment like Eye protection glass, Ear Protection ear set, Hand Protection Hand gloves, Dust Mask for Lung protection. Always follow the safety instruction, Check the disc damage or unusual stains before load on the grinder machine, Machine speed should not exceed than speed suggested on Disc.
HOW TO KEEP FLAP DISC SAFE?
Discs should be stored in their original container, rigid surface, avoiding damp and frost or wide variation in temperature. keeping disc away from moisture, or water. Use disc on a first in, first out basis. disc storage is recommended near at 40 to 50 % humidity and 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
WHAT ARE THE PURCHASING OPTIONS FLAP DISC?
When it comes to purchasing disc you have plenty of options. You can buy from online any ecommerce website or near retailer shop or any dealer for small project/work, but if you have big project or you are a company then you must go with reputed Brand company they cares about you and your project will help you experience a better result.
SUMMARY OF THE FLAP DISC USE AND VARIETY OF APPLICATIONS
If you want to take more advantage of disc and use last long, it’s important to learn and examine each and every component and make sure it’s best suited for an application using for your work done. Consider that everything for surface-finish or any other angle grinding requirements and efficiency to aesthetics definitely. Doing will increase disc life, which will able you to get as more as possible work done by you in very less time for less expense and safely as well than using other consumable products.
Thanks your sincerely